Wednesday 8 January 2014

Top Books of 2013

OK, yes this post is really late. 2013 was like, so last week. But better late than never, right? So in no particular order, I bring you Rachael’s top books of 2013.

Middle Grade
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Cathrynne Valente
When I was a kid, one of the books I would constantly read over and over again was Alice in Wonderland, and honestly, I thought nothing could come close to the wonder I felt reading a land like that. I was wrong. TGWCFiaSoHOM, on top of being a mouthful, captures the wonder of being a child, wrapped in layers of a fantastical, detailed world with a cuckoo-crazy plot.

Wonder by RJ Palacio
For a book so slim, it’s crazy the amount of emotions I went through reading it. Auggie’s story of him coping with his disfigurement  is a sad one, yet ultimately uplifting, and laced with a slick sense of humour.
959139811387515

YA
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Do I really need to say anything about this book? If you haven’t read this book, go pick it up now! It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will still resonate with you a year after you read it.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
I’ve never thought of myself as a romance fan, so it just shows how much I loved Eleanor and Park. The characters were so alive, and their story real and painful, that I couldn’t help but falling in love with this book.

15745753The Fault in Our Stars

Adult
A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin
Okay, technically this isn’t a book, but a series. Even if you haven’t seen the TV show, this book is worth a read. With a plot that teeters the line of a war drama and a soap opera, set in one of the most detailed lands I’ve ever read, these books keep you sucked in through their lengthy volumes.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I always bang on about how much I hate predictability in books, and Gone Girl is anything but. The twists and turns in the insane story about Nick and his missing wife, not to mention the crazy, and yet terrifyingly believable, characters kept me turning the pages.
844245713496


Agree? Disagree? Have links to your own top books? Tell me down below!

6 comments:

  1. I mostly read quite a lot of old books in 2013 so I'd have to say that my favourites were Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance by Johnny Rogan, Just Kids by Patti Smith and On The Road by Jack Kerouac. I really recommend them all. I've added your recommendations to my to read list. I've read The Fault In Our Stars and I quite liked it but it's not one of my favourites

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdsong and On the Road have been on my TBR for ages, I really need to get around to reading them! I loved the Picture of Dorian Gray too! Thank you for the recommendations, Brighton Rock especially looks really good :)

      Delete
  2. I really, really need to read Wonder - I've heard such good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone girl, Wonder and E&P are books I've heard so much about and want to read! Glad you enjoyed them. I know Gone Girl is becomming a film so I'll probably read it before I see it.
    I love the fault in our stars so much! I can't wait to see that film adaptation as well! Game of thrones looks pretty lengthy to me and puts me off but my friend is reading it and adores it. Great list and I hope you read many amazing books this year Rachael! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Gone Girl is becoming a film! If so, I definitely recommend reading the book before because I think unravelling the plot through the book will be far better than the film. And ahhh TFioS film! As for Game of Thrones, it's really easy to get sucked in and then before you know it, you've read the whole book!

      Delete